1. A wall built to keep the backlash out.
Example: “Too bad you can’t take a joke.”
1. Describes a coveted thing by making it feel worse than its
Example: “You iigh, but your friend bad.”
1. Describes a victim of a cruel trick.
2. Or, A reward for silence.
Example: “A good black woman serves her King.”
1. The loudest voice in a sinking ship.
Example: “A true King serves his Queen.
Meaning, always adjusts her crown when she bows at his feet.”
1. An uncharted island. Its women spend their lives trying to
Kwansaba for Mommy
She don’t love him but stayed anyway
Spent water and womb and bruise to
Keep the roof on tight. Keep the
Door closed. Keep the mouths fed and
Stretch her own skin ‘til it snap
Like rubber. A mother of bounce back.
A [glory] to the women that stay.
Kwansaba for my Stubbornness
I have learned that woman means power.
Means kneel before me, and bow never.
Means all fight and no rest. Means
Self love comes first, and often second.
Sometimes only. Means wrong, but right anyway.
Means head so hard, crown can’t fit.
Means leave. Never learn to make room.